There really are some crazy laws out there and I did see a LOT of lists, but no one ever stated if they were true or not. Which is something I would want to know, especially if I plan on sharing them with other people! So here is a list of 10 crazy laws, of which I could find reasonable proof for 8, and some promising information on the other 2.
- You’ll get fined if your truck leaves a mess in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
This one is true, but it’s not just about vehicles. As seen is this newsletter, pg. 7.
‘It is illegal to drive a truck or other vehicle whose wheels or tires deposit mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or other material on any street or highway. (Minnetonka). This one is still on the books in Minnetonka under section 845.010 – Public Nuisances.’
- Dunn, North Carolina, it’s illegal to play in traffic.
I can’t find anything that shows this law is actually on the books, but it is one that would seem likely since the people who would be playing in the street would probably be children or young adults.
- Skateboarders in Florida need a license.
This one is actually true according to the Orlando Sentinel. A special license used to be required to skateboard, but the law is ignored today.
- In California it’s illegal to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, of course, unless you’re shooting at a whale, that’s completely fine.
According to Etags, this law is in fact true! It’s also listed across the internet as a law, but I really can’t find any actual proof it exists.
- It’s illegal to shoot whales from your car in Connecticut.
Nissan of Norwich says this is true, so it must be. Right? It’s also one of those law’s that’s absolutely everywhere on the internet.
- In Alabama it is completely fine and legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street as long as you have a lantern attached to the front of your car.
Well this guy says it’s real! Michael Shafer, Personal Injury Attorney
- Texas requires windshield wipers, but not necessarily a windshield.
I’ve been finding a lot of hearsay evidence on this one, including someone who said they were a Texas inspector on a Cobra forum, but I can’t find the actual law. So jury’s still out.
- Pennsylvania requires any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass.
Now this is one law I’ve heard about since high school and I am entertained to know that it is in fact true! Here it is cited in the book You Can Get Arrested for That.
- In West Virginia Officials it’s perfectly legal for anyone to scavenge road kill.
This one is absolutely true. In Marlinton, West Virginia they even have a Roadkill Cook-off, they’ll be having the 25th in the fall of 2017.
- In Oklahoma you’ll be ticketed if caught reading a comic book while driving.
You really have to wonder about some of these laws… but this one is also cited in a book, It’s the Law!.